This Tuesday, the USS Gerald R. Ford, the most advanced aircraft carrier America And the world’s largest, took on its first task: training officers North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and patrolling the North Atlantic and Mediterranean areas.
The USS Gerald R. Ford Accompanied by its fleet of aircraft carriers, it left port at the foot of Norfolk, Virginia, for several weeks of maneuvers with navies from nine allied nations.
According to the US Navy, the USS Gerald R. Ford The first is aircraft carrier New designed by a North American country for over 40 years.
Additionally, this is the first of a total of 10 that will be operational in the following years. Construction started in 2005 and deliveries were made Armada In 2017, then-President Donald Trump.
“Now more than ever, that’s important America Strengthen our relationships with our allies and partners as we contribute to the development of a peaceful, stable and conflict-free Atlantic region.The Navy said in the statement.
“USS Gerald R. Ford is deployed to demonstrate its unmatched lethality capabilities in all areas”US Navy Commander Admiral Daryl Caudill said.
47 aircraft carriers
In active service in the world, they are operated by only 14 countries
America The multinational exercises in the Atlantic will focus on anti-aircraft defense, anti-submarine warfare, anti-mine operations and amphibious operations, it said.
Aircraft carriers Class Gerald FordNamed after the 38th President of the United States, the aircraft carriers will replace them Class NimitzThose nearing the end of their projected 50 years of service.
What does the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier look like?
- The Portavions USS Gerald R. Ford 337 meters long (largest in class Nimitz 333 meters in size).
- The design The cost of this type of ship is 37,300 million dollars.
- They are building It cost more than 13,000 million dollars.
- Can carry one crew Up to 4,500 people.
- Aircraft carrier Can also weigh Up to 100,000 tonnes when fully loaded.
- It works on nuclear propulsion.
- It is fitted surface-to-air missiles and M2 machine guns It also has a modern electromagnetic launch system for launching aircraft from the ship.
- can Transport 75 fighter jetsIncluding Lockheed Martin F-35s, Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and Sikorsky MH-60R helicopters.
- It is designed to be delivered Advanced weapons.
- to achieve one Speed 54 kilometers per hour.
Nine countries in the first mission
First task aircraft carrier It has about 9,000 people from Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Spain and the United States. It is accompanied by 20 ships, 60 aircraft and a submarine in what the US Navy describes as “the largest joint exercise of naval forces in the Atlantic since World War II”.
L USS Gerald R. Ford
Honors the 38th President of the United States (1974-1977).
Its deployment was delayed by five years after many of its sophisticated devices malfunctioned in its initial tests. In addition, it suffered several breakdowns, Univisión reported.
There were also problems with its air launch system and the elevators that carried the missiles and bombs to the ships.
. “Infuriatingly humble alcohol fan. Friendly entrepreneur. Travel aficionado. Typical tv advocate.”